FCS unit deployed to boost Matatiele case 

Wednesday, April 2, 2025

The National Commissioner of the South African Police Service (SAPS), General Fannie Masemola, has tasked the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Investigations (FCS) unit to bolster and oversee the ongoing investigation into the alleged rape of a seven-year-old girl in Matatiele.

The FCS unit has 176 units across the country and its investigators are responsible for investigating gender-based violence and femicide (GBVF) related cases, electronic crimes as well as sexual offences cases involving women, children and vulnerable groups.

In a statement on Tuesday, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said that the head of the FSC, Major General Mmantsheke Lekhele, was meeting with the investigating team to ensure due diligence is conducted in this case and that the chain of evidence was properly preserved.

On Saturday, the Ministry of Police assured members of the public that law enforcement is actively investigating two incidences involving the rape of minors in the Eastern Cape.

This comes after the Ministry took note of calls on various social media platforms regarding the tragic violation of the two minors in two separate incidences in October and November last year.

READ | Law enforcement is attending to Eastern Cape rape cases

In both incidences, the suspects have been identified and were arrested.

In the statement on Tuesday, the police said the Major Gen Lekhele will meet with persons of interests and key stakeholders such as the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to ensure justice and the finalisation of the matter.

“Bringing criminals to book and putting perpetrators of crime behind bars remains a key priority for the SAPS. The SAPS assures the nation that justice will prevail and those that are found to be guilty of any offence will be brought to book,” said the police.

It further added that a comprehensive report will follow on conclusion of the work of the team led by Component Head for the FCS.

“The SAPS also calls for responsible social media reporting on this sensitive matter,” it said. -SAnews.gov.za