Inroads made in tackling Eersterust's drug problem

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Pretoria - President Jacob Zuma’s intervention in Eersterust, east of Pretoria earlier this year has yielded positive results.

President Zuma visited the community on 21 August 2015 where residents expressed their frustration at the proliferation of drugs and the impunity with which these drugs are being trafficked.

The community requested that Operation Fiela/Reclaim be extended to their area as they had little confidence that the local police officers were able or willing to deal effectively with this matter.

“An intervention operation in Eersterust took place between 3 September 2015 and 30 November 2015, through the NATJOC [National Joint Operations Centre], in conjunction with the Gauteng PROVJOC [Provincial Joint Operations Centre],” said Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko at a media briefing in Pretoria on Sunday.

The Minister was giving an update on the work of the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) Cluster.

He said there were 43 operations conducted in the area, with 141 suspects arrested for drug-related crimes while 27 suspects were arrested for other crimes.

Minister Nhleko noted that communities cannot be safe for as long as hundreds of children are under the grip of drug and substance abuse.

“The JCPS Cluster is committed to accelerate the implementation of the National Drug Master Plan to eliminate drug and substance abuse by increasing access to treatment services nationally.”

He said the cluster would intensify the mobilisation of communities around the country through the establishment and sustaining provincial substance abuse fora’s and of local drug action committees as part of the prevention programme to reduce the supply, demand and harm caused by drug and substance abuse.

Progress is being made in the treatment of drug addicts with two treatment centres having been completed in Limpopo and another in the Eastern Cape. Land has been secured for the construction of treatment centres in the Free State, North West and Northern Cape provinces.

“We also call on all sectors to join hands with government to expand access to rehabilitation programmes. We should support families of addicts to ensure that those affected by drug abuse break the habit and are able to resume normal lives. Addicts need all our support,” said Minister Nhleko.

He called on communities to stop turning a blind eye towards people who sell drugs in their neighbourhoods.

“The drug trade is not a harmless or victimless crime. Drugs are destroying the very future of our society as our youth get hooked and lose their potential.”

Sexual violence

Meanwhile statistics relating to sexual offences have indicated less such crimes reported in the past financial year.

“It is heartening to see that the statistics relating to sexual offences indicate less such crimes reported in the past financial year and that  sexual offences had in fact decreased by 5,4%,” he said.

More Thuthuzela Care Centres (TCCs) are being built. There are currently 55 sites providing dedicated services to victims of sexual violence, of which 50 can be regarded as fully operational compared to the 38 sites of the previous financial year.

The numbers of dedicated Sexual Offences Courts have also increased country-wide and dedicated experienced prosecutors have been appointed to deal with matters at these courts.

“The conviction rate relating to sexual offences have also increased and in the first two quarters of 2015/16 this year, the NPA has indicated an average conviction rate of 69.5% (2618 cases) conviction rate. The good performance within this indicator is due to a multi-disciplinary approach,” said the Minister. – SAnews.gov.za